Do Little Things Hold You Back From Writing?

by Jennifer on June 9, 2010

What little things are holding you back from writing?

Note: I was inspired by Dave Navarro to do this video in one take and not edit out the mistakes. Dave makes the greatest one-take videos (and never edits out his mistakes).

About the Author: Jennifer Blanchard is founder of Procrastinating Writers. For more great writing tips, articles and information, follow her on Twitter.

1 PatriciaW June 9, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Just learned of Dave Navarro yesterday and was totally floored by his More Time Now missive. Lifechanging. Been mulling over it since and really looking forward to seeing how my life will be different a year from now as a result of the actions it inspires me to take.

2 Peter June 9, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Excellent advice from an excellent blog. You are absolutely right in what you are saying, if you want to overcome fears or doubts, you have to face them head on. And well done for overcoming your own fears, in my opinion you have a great voice and the video was very watchable. And you’re kinda cute 🙂

3 Peter June 9, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Sorry posted twice by accident! Didn’t show up the first time!

4 Paulo Campos June 9, 2010 at 7:44 pm

This was a really nicely done video.

I think too few writing blogs post videos. I usually watch and enjoy them when they’re there. It adds personality: showing enthusiasm for writing in a clip and writing enthusiastically make for an effective mix of content. “Show don’t tell” springs to mind, but “show *and* tell” is more accurate.

I hope you keep it up!

5 Stormy June 9, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Hey Jennifer! It’s so nice to put a face to the name. And you have a beautiful voice!

I’m definitely one of the “15 minutes is not enough” procrastinators so thank you for the challenge. Tomorrow, I will find 15 minutes of time and write anyway.

I’m so glad there are more videos to come because I love this one!

6 jblan June 9, 2010 at 10:50 pm

@PatriciaW Dave is awesome. His insights are always right on. I’ve learned so much from him.

@Peter Thank you. I think overcoming fears is a really important part of being a writer. It’s a one-day-at-a-time process. At least for me 🙂

@Paulo Campos You’re right! Not enough writing blogs use videos. If you have any topic ideas you’d like to see a video on, please let me know!

@Stormy Thank you. Good luck with the 15-minute experiment and let me know how it goes!

7 David C June 10, 2010 at 8:43 am

Very well done, i love the video, is nice to put a face behind the words, i look forward for more, kind regards.
David C

8 jennifer blanchard June 10, 2010 at 10:38 am

@David C Thanks! Please let me know if there are topics you’d like to see a video on.

9 Eva June 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm

That was a great video, Jennifer! More please. 🙂

10 Brittany June 13, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Good video! I’m also one of the “15 minutes is not enough time to write” procrastinators, and I’ll probably have to try to get over it. And I like your voice. 🙂

11 Kendra June 13, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I love video posts! Especially on writers blogs, I don’t see it often on writers so I hope you keep going and do more! 🙂

While I was watching your video I was trying to think of what “little things” hold me back in my writing. I can’t think of any weird little things that hold me back right now. No outside distractions anyways. If I have 15 minutes to write, then I’ll do it. The things that hold me back is what’s going on in my writing itself, what I’m not liking about my story or what I think needs to be changed. But I write anyways!

🙂

12 Dawn June 14, 2010 at 4:06 pm

For the record, I thought your voice was excellent for a vlog! I appreciate your points, as I’m just getting back into writing and am exploring all the little things that make it difficult, or else make it not happen. Thanks for the reminder to not overlook anything!

13 jblan June 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm

@Dawn Thank you! Welcome to the blog, and please let me know if there’s any questions you have about getting started writing that I might be able to answer for you.

14 edd t June 22, 2010 at 2:44 am

15 minutes doesn’t seem like all that much time to me to get anything done. I have been putting off my writing because I was told if you can dedicate at least an hour a day you are not a writer. 15 minutes I can do maybe not the same time every day but not an hour. What would be a relistic goal in 15 minutes a day?

15 jblan June 22, 2010 at 10:02 am

@edd t Thanks for the great question. While you should still try to find longer periods of writing time throughout your week, when you don’t have a lot of free time to squeeze in some writing, 15 minutes is all you need to get something accomplished.

I’d say a realistic goal in 15 minutes would be to write between 150 and 350 words (depending on how fast you type).

It’s important to remember that getting some writing done is always better than getting no writing done.

16 Andrew Toynbee June 24, 2010 at 5:21 am

Hi Jen
The first time I heard my own voice played back from my pocket dictaphone, I immediately shoved the darn thing to the back of a drawer and never used it again. Shame, because I bought it to note those fleeting ideas that occur when we’re on the move.
It can be a shock to hear ourselves through the medium of magnetic tape (as in my case) as we suddenly discern qualities to our own voices that we’d been completely unaware of for the past 20/30/40/50 (delete as applicable) years.
So congrats on overcoming that fear! You sound great!

With regards to finding ‘the perfect writing environment’, now that I have my trusty Netbook, I’m writing in the car (stationary, of course), in the canteen (sometimes one-handed as I eat), in the waiting room (a lot of that lately) and in the living room (TV off). Before the Netbook came pen and paper and I would scribble furiously during every spare moment, desperate to get a few more sentences out.
It might not be ideal – but once the story has been assembled during those spare moments, then that’s the time to worry about the ‘ideal environment’ for editing.
And just think – once those royalties start to come in, you can start to create your perfect writing environment for yourself.
Hold onto that dream (it’s what keeps me going!).
Write on!