A Procrastinating Writers Birthday Scavenger Hunt (With Prizes)

by Jennifer on March 24, 2011

Procrastinating Writers is celebrating its third birthday. To keep the celebration going, I’m hosting a scavenger hunt on this blog.

The Prizes

The first person to correctly identify all the answers to the scavenger hunt questions and post them in the comments below will receive:

And since I want to spread the birthday love as far as possible, the second and third people who correctly identify all the answers to the scavenger hunt questions and posts them in the comments below will receive:

• a copy of Butt-In-Chair

The Details

Here are all the details you need to know:

1. All of the answers can be found by searching and reading through this blog.
  2. You must post all of your answers in full in the comments below.
  3. You can only post once. If you post more than once, your first comment will be taken as your answer.
  4. You are responsible for any taxes associated with the prizes.
  5. The contest ends once three people have correctly identified and posted answers to the scavenger hunt questions.

Correct answers will be posted, along with the winner’s names, at the conclusion of the challenge.

If you have any additional questions, be sure to post those below too and I’ll answer them as quickly as I can.

The Scavenger Hunt Questions

Be the first (or second or third) person to correctly identify and post in the comments below:

1. What “things” do procrastinators fear?
  2. What was the headline of the very first Procrastinating Writers blog post?
  3. In writing and life, what’s the lesson?
  4. What’s one idea for how struggling writers can get started writing. Be sure to include a link to the PW blog post idea.
  5. What is the official name of the e-mail advice newsletter I send out to subscribers during NaNoWriMo?

Good luck! And  thanks for reading and subscribing to Procrastinating Writers. Here’s to another year of getting writing done!

And don’t forget: As a THANK YOU for being such awesome, supportive readers, I’m offering my eGuide: Butt-In-Chair at a 50 percent discount ($9.95). Just be sure to enter: PWBIRTHDAY3 in the discount code box at check out time. The code is good ’til March 27 at 11:59 p.m.

About the Author: Jennifer Blanchard is the founder of Procrastinating Writers. She is co-founder of the Better Writing Habits Challenge. For more great writing tips, tools and advice, be sure to follow her on Twitter or Facebook.

1 Stephanie Cain March 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm

1. What “things” do procrastinators fear?
Beginning, the Main Task, or Completion (posted 8/4/2010) –That last one is my current fear!

2. What was the headline of the very first Procrastinating Writers blog post?
“You’re Invited!” (posted 3/22/2008)

3. In writing and life, what’s the lesson?
This one was hard! I couldn’t find anything that specifically says: Here’s the lesson! So I’m posting the biggest lesson I’ve learned from your blog that I think is applicable to life and writing both.
“Take responsibility for yourself, your choices and your actions” (posted 2/10/2011)
Alternately (am I allowed to post two answers to this question?) another great lesson that I’m still trying to learn is
“Focus on one writing project until you’re done”, and I think that one can usefully be applied to both life and writing. (posted 9/15/2009)

Use visualization! (http://procrastinatingwritersblog.com/2010/08/unblock-your-writing-through-visualization/ – posted 8/18/2010)

30 Days of NaNoWriMo Tips for Procrastinating Writers (posted 10/29/2009)

2 PatriciaW March 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm

1 — Procrastinators’ fears are Fear of Beginning, Fear of Main Task, Fear of Completion.

2 – The first blog post was “You’re Invited!”

3 — The lesson, in writing and life, is Do What Works For You.

4 — One idea to get started is to gain confidence by reprogramming your self-talk. This comes from the post, “Believe in Yourself and the Writing Will Come”.

5 — The NaNo newsletter is called “30 Days of NaNoWriMo Tips for Procrastinating Writers”.

Happy Birthday, Procrastinating Writers!

3 Ashley March 24, 2011 at 5:51 pm

1. Success, failure, rejection, and not being good enough/perfect.
2. You’re Invited!
3. Do what works for you.
4. “Work at your craft so that you’re damned good…” from “Moving Out of Your Writing Comfort Zone” ( http://procrastinatingwritersblog.com/2009/05/moving-out-of-your-writing-comfort-zone/ )
5. 30 Days of NaNoWriMo Tips for Procrastinating Writers.

Happy Birthday, Procrastinating Writers! I’m glad you exist!

4 Marilou Goodwin March 24, 2011 at 6:38 pm

1. What “things” do procrastinators fear?
success – failure – rejection – not being good enough/perfect (2009/04/the-things-procrastinators-fear/)

2. What was the headline of the very first Procrastinating Writers blog post?
You’re Invited (March 08)

3. In writing and life, what’s the lesson?
Do what works for you. (2009/07/non-conformist/)

I’m going with – read the book. “Butt-In-Chair: A no-excuses writing productivity guide for writers who struggle to get started” (2010/04/butt-in-chair-no-excuses-just-writing/) If you’re looking for other bloggy ideas rather than reading ideas (something I seem to be using as another method of procrastination right now), this one is my favorite: http://procrastinatingwritersblog.com/2011/03/the-procrastination-equation/
and a specific tip from here is Decrease the Delay, which means get a deadline. Though my deadline is when the kids go back to school and I have to either be published or get a real (paying) job and it doesn’t seem to be doing much more for me than giving me stomach aches right now.

“30 Days of NaNo Tips for Procrastinating Writers”

Answers and more 🙂

5 Jennifer March 25, 2011 at 10:42 am

WOW–that was fast! Great job! I’ll be announcing the winners later today. As of right now there are 2… which means one more person can still potentially take 3rd place…

6 Robert Eilers March 28, 2011 at 1:39 am

1. Fear of success, failure, rejection and of not being good enough/perfect.
2. You’re Invited
3. Do What Works For You
4. Struggling writers must believe in themselves. They must gain confidence in their writing by changing the way they talk about their writing to themselves.
“Believe In Yourself and the Writing Will Come”
5. 30 Days of NaNo Tips for Procrastinating Writers